Minor imperfections don't have to mar your smile. Our Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, explains how veneers can correct those little issues that affect the appearance of your teeth.
Make your dental flaws disappear with veneers
Veneers address common imperfections on the fronts of your teeth by concealing them beneath a thin layer of porcelain, a translucent material that looks just like tooth enamel. The porcelain shells are created using an impression of your mouth taken in our Honeoye Falls and Mendon office. Dental technicians use the impression when creating your veneers to ensure that your restorations will fit your teeth perfectly. The veneering process also involves removing a small amount of tooth enamel to ensure a proper fit.
Veneers are an ideal solution for many cosmetic issues
Once your veneers are cemented on to your teeth, you'll no longer have to worry about:
- Oddly shaped teeth: Does one of your teeth look like it doesn't belong in your mouth? Thanks to veneers, it's simple to change the shape of teeth. Whether your tooth is crooked, twisted, pointed or just a little out of the ordinary, a veneer can make a huge difference in your smile.
- Minor damage: Small chips often develop in the bottoms of teeth due to wear and tear. Although the chips won't cause any dental issues, they can be unsightly. Veneers easily cover chips and cracks that affect your appearance.
- Gaps in your smile: If you don't think those gaps between your teeth give you character, you may want to consider adding a few veneers to your teeth. Although veneers aren't an effective solution if your gaps are large, they provide an easy way to conceal slight spaces between your teeth.
- Teeth that don't quite measure up: One or two teeth may be naturally shorter than the others or may have shortened if you regularly grind your teeth. Adding veneers will instantly add length to your short teeth.
- Discolored teeth: Whether one or all of your teeth are discolored, veneers offer an excellent long-term whitening solution. They're frequently used to hide discolorations caused by injuries, dental procedures or the use of certain antibiotics, but may also be used to whiten your entire smile.
Are you ready to find out if veneers are a good choice for you? Call our Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Murano, at (585) 624-1917 to schedule an appointment.
Need a family dentist? Your Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, is here to help.
What can your family dentist do for you?
- Crowns: A dental crown is a porcelain cap that covers a tooth. When your tooth is severely decayed and large portions of it are removed, your Honeoye Falls and Mendon family dentist uses a dental crown to help preserve what remains of your natural tooth. The crown will add support to your tooth and will conceal any cracks, dents, and chips.
- Bridges: Adults, ages 20 to 64, have around 3 decayed or missing permanent teeth, according to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. Bridges are custom-made oral appliances that can conceal dental gaps, and help restore proper bite and chewing functions.
- Fillings and Dental Bonding: In order to prepare your teeth for the composite, your family dentist will apply an etching solution to the surface of your tooth, then the composite resin that matches the color of your teeth is applied and molded to the right shape. The last step consists of the composite being hardened in place with a curing light.
- Dental Care: Visiting your dentist for a biannual dental appointment is important to maintain your oral health. If you like eating hard candies and sugary food, well then opting for fruits and vegetables is a good idea to avoid cavities. Also, your doctor will teach you how to take care of your teeth. Brush your teeth twice a day is a must. Make sure you spend 2 full minutes brushing your teeth and tilt your brush at a 45-degree angle to ensure you remove as much food debris as possible. Flossing your teeth before bed will also help preserve your crowns and natural teeth, of course! Your crowns can last up to 8 years or longer.
For more information on what your family dentist can provide you with, you should contact your Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, today!
Do you want sparkling white teeth? Do you want to be able to smile without having to photoshop your teeth? Well, that's understandable. Your Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, dentist Dr. Carl Murano has just the answer: Teeth whitening!
What can teeth whitening do?
Teeth whitening rejuvenates your smile. It removes:
- Stains and yellowing
How is your smile tainted?
There are many contributing factors when it comes to your teeth yellowing and becoming discolored. Here are a few reasons:
- Chewing tobacco and smoking can cause the accumulation of stains on teeth.
- Drinking too much tea and coffee, and eating too many berries can also stain your teeth.
- Not maintaining a healthy oral and dental regiment may contribute to plaque and tartar buildup.
- Aging does play a factor because the dentin under the tooth enamel is yellow and is exposed over time.
- Not eating healthy foods like apples scrapes away plaque and drinking enough water can help remove food debris from teeth.
- Medications like certain antibiotics can stain teeth.
What types of teeth whitening are there?
- You can buy teeth-whitening toothpaste but that may not be the best for your teeth. Sometimes they consist of harsh substances that can cause damage to your teeth.
- At-home kit: Your Honeoye Falls and Mendon doctor will give you a kit that can be used at home. It's convenient so that you can brighten your teeth when it's convenient for you. Make sure you listen to your doctor's instructions though!
- In-office teeth whitening: The doctor will use retractors to prevent your cheeks and lips from touching the bleach put on your teeth. The dentist will leave the bleach on your teeth for about an hour then remove it.
If you're interested in improving the brightness of your teeth and believe you Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, dentist Dr. Carl Murano can help you, then call today!
How periodontal care from your Honeoye Falls and Mendon dentist can help you
Everyone knows teeth are important, but your gums are important too! Your gums and supporting bone are what hold your teeth in place. Without adequate support, your teeth can become loose, and even fall out. Your gums, the ligaments around your teeth, and the supporting bone are known as the periodontium. Periodontal care refers to what you need to do to take care of the support for your teeth.
Dr. Carl Murano at HFL Dental in Honeoye Falls, NY wants to share the facts about periodontal care. He proudly serves the residents of Honeoye Falls and Mendon and he can help you too.
Periodontal disease typically starts out as gum disease. There are a few important differences between gum disease and periodontal disease. Gum disease only affects your gums, and it is reversible by regular brushing, flossing and visiting your dentist and dental hygienist for an exam, x-rays and professional cleaning once or twice each year.
Periodontal disease affects your gums, but it also affects your supporting bone and ligaments that hold your teeth in place. Unlike gum disease, periodontal disease cannot be reversed; it can only be managed.
Both gum and periodontal disease are caused by harmful bacteria in the plaque attached to your teeth. These bacteria produce toxins that inflame and infect the hard and soft tissues in your mouth. That’s why thorough plaque removal with regular brushing and flossing are so important in preventing gum and periodontal disease.
When you visit Dr. Murano, he will perform a thorough periodontal examination as part of your dental exam. Using x-rays, he will be able to assess if you have lost any bone due to periodontal disease. He will also measure the level of soft tissue attachment to your teeth. Both of these diagnostic tools will help determine what level of periodontal care you need.
Typically, patients with periodontal disease will need more extensive dental cleanings, due to the presence of deep pocket areas of soft tissue surrounding your teeth. These deep pockets are full of harmful bacteria and toxins. You may also have hard deposits, called calculus or tartar, attached to your teeth.
You may begin periodontal treatment with root planing, a process to remove hard and soft deposits and smooth the roots of your teeth. After root planing is complete, Dr. Murano may suggest more frequent cleaning intervals of every three months to every four months, depending on the level of disease.
To find out if you need periodontal care, call Dr. Murano, at HFL Dental, serving residents of Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY. Don’t wait, call today!
Are you wondering if your daily routine is giving you the healthy smile you deserve?
Caring for your smile really shouldn’t be difficult and yet there are so many people that neglect their oral health. Just the fact that you are reading this post, leads our Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, to believe that you do care about your oral health and want to make sure you are doing everything possible to keep your smile healthy. Here are some smile-friendly rules to live by:
Brush and Floss Regularly
While this may seem like a no-brainer, it bears repeating since many people don’t brush and floss regularly or thoroughly enough to maintain good oral health. Remember that these two habits are some of the best ways to prevent gum disease and decay and they can be done right in your very own home. Follow these easy tips:
- Opt for an ADA-approved toothbrush and toothpaste. Always choose a soft-bristled toothbrush, which will be safe on enamel.
- Replace your toothbrush about every three to four months (or after illness).
- Use toothpaste that contains fluoride, which can help strengthen tooth enamel and prevent decay.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss once daily. If you wear braces or are prone to decay you may want to brush your teeth after every meal.
You may just love having that sugary pick-me-up treat during the lull of the mid-afternoon. It can be easy to just sit there and snack at your desk throughout the day, but if you value your oral health you may want to nix this habit. This is because most of the snacks that people turn to during the day are high in sugar or are highly processed, which can damage tooth enamel and lead to decay.
Say “Yes” to Preventive Dentistry
While we know that people lead busy lives, you should never be too busy to see your dentist. Even if your teeth and gums feel great and look good this doesn’t mean that there aren’t underlying issues just bubbling under the surface. These are problems you won’t notice but we will.
By coming in every six months, we can prevent decay from getting worse and even reverse early signs of gum disease. During these visits, also talk to us about whether fluoride treatment or dental sealants could protect your oral health.
If you must have a treat, opt for healthy choices like hard cheeses or crisp fruits like pears or apples. These fruits act as natural dental cleaners and also stimulate salivary production to remove food and bacteria from teeth.
HFL Dental in Mendon, NY, is here for you and your dental needs, whatever they may be. Do you need a routine cleaning? Do you want to talk about your cosmetic dentistry options? We can help.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.