Posts for tag: Teeth Whitening
Do you want sparkling white teeth? Do you want to be able to smile without having to photoshop your teeth? Well, that's understandable. Your Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, dentist Dr. Carl Murano has just the answer: Teeth whitening!
What can teeth whitening do?
Teeth whitening rejuvenates your smile. It removes:
- Stains and yellowing
How is your smile tainted?
There are many contributing factors when it comes to your teeth yellowing and becoming discolored. Here are a few reasons:
- Chewing tobacco and smoking can cause the accumulation of stains on teeth.
- Drinking too much tea and coffee, and eating too many berries can also stain your teeth.
- Not maintaining a healthy oral and dental regiment may contribute to plaque and tartar buildup.
- Aging does play a factor because the dentin under the tooth enamel is yellow and is exposed over time.
- Not eating healthy foods like apples scrapes away plaque and drinking enough water can help remove food debris from teeth.
- Medications like certain antibiotics can stain teeth.
What types of teeth whitening are there?
- You can buy teeth-whitening toothpaste but that may not be the best for your teeth. Sometimes they consist of harsh substances that can cause damage to your teeth.
- At-home kit: Your Honeoye Falls and Mendon doctor will give you a kit that can be used at home. It's convenient so that you can brighten your teeth when it's convenient for you. Make sure you listen to your doctor's instructions though!
- In-office teeth whitening: The doctor will use retractors to prevent your cheeks and lips from touching the bleach put on your teeth. The dentist will leave the bleach on your teeth for about an hour then remove it.
If you're interested in improving the brightness of your teeth and believe you Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, dentist Dr. Carl Murano can help you, then call today!
If you feel as though your yellowed or stained teeth decrease your confidence level, you could benefit from a professional teeth whitening session. This simple, easy and efficient cosmetic dental procedure is a surefire way to rejuvenate your tired smile into one you can truly feel great about. Learn more about teeth whitening with help from your Mendon, NY area dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, at HFL Dental in Honeoye Falls, NY.
What causes teeth discoloration and staining?
Teeth can stain on either their extrinsic (outer) or intrinsic (inner) layers. Outside elements usually cause extrinsic staining. Some common causes of extrinsic staining include:
- tobacco use
- drinking dark colored sodas
- drinking coffee or tea
- eating highly-pigmented foods like berries
Intrinsic stains come from other sources like trauma to the tooth, using certain medications, and too much fluoride. Additionally, staining may occur when the teeth’s white enamel becomes thin due to normal aging and use. This allows the yellow-colored dentin to show through the enamel, causing a yellowed appearance.
Professional Teeth Whitening in Honeoye Falls, NY
Good candidates for teeth whitening procedures are in good dental and general health. Whitening procedures do not work on dental restorations like crowns or bridges, so candidates should have a mostly restoration-free smile to achieve the same all-over color. Whitening procedures begin with your dentist cleaning the teeth and separating them from the oral tissues using a dental dam. A special whitening gel placed onto the teeth lifts the teeth’s color using chemical reactions between your teeth’s stains and the gel itself. Some dentists use a light directed at the teeth to activate or strengthen the effect of the gel. Many patients return for touch-up appointments once or twice a year.
How can I keep my teeth white between sessions?
The best way to avoid teeth staining or discoloration is to avoid the elements which cause it in the first place. However, since this is not an option for many people, there are some tricks to make your whitening procedure last as long as possible. First and foremost, brush your teeth twice daily and floss at least once. If you drink darkly-colored beverages, try to consume them all in one sitting rather than throughout the course of the day. Always brush or at least rinse your mouth with water after drinking or eating stain-causing foods. Finally, see your Mendon area dentist for regular examinations and cleanings at least twice a year to keep your teeth clean and healthy.
For more information on professional teeth whitening, please contact Dr. Murano at HFL Dental in Honeoye Falls, NY. Call (585) 624-1917 to schedule your appointment for a teeth whitening session in the Mendon, NY area today!