Posts for category: dental procedures
If you’re struggling with dental problems, including loss of tooth stability, enamel, and deep discoloration, crowns might be right for you. Here at HFL Dental in Honeoye Falls, NY, (also serving patients in Mendon) your family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, uses crowns to restore and renew his patients' smiles—read on to learn if they are right for you too.
How Are Crowns Made and Placed?
A crown is created from a high-end ceramic material called porcelain that looks and feels just like a human tooth. During a crown's construction, it is specially designed to fit snugly over the remaining enamel surface for a comfortable and natural feel. Once placed, a dental crown can last for seven or more years, although its durability depends on how well you take care of your smile on a daily basis.
Addressing Your Dental Problems
There are a variety of reasons why your Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist might include a dental crown in your treatment plan. A crown can be installed:
- To put a restoration on a dental implant device.
- To cover a tooth after a root canal.
- For protection when a tooth is damaged by wear and tear, enamel erosion, discoloration, or injury.
- To create a bridge device, which covers a space caused by one or more missing teeth.
More Crown Benefits to Consider
Dental crowns offer a number of benefits including:
- Comfort and confidence when you’re eating and smiling.
- Closing gaps between the teeth and fixing cracks or chips.
- Restoration of natural color to a discolored tooth.
- Time to allow the tissues and pulp inside of your tooth to heal and remain healthy after a root canal.
Schedule Your Visit
Dial (585) 624-1917 today for an appointment with your family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, at his office in Honeoye Falls, NY (also serving Mendon, NY).
Everyone is subject to tooth decay, but children are more prone than adults, says the American Dental Association (ADA). That's why Dr. Carl Murano, your family dentist, at HFL Dental serving Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, offers plastic sealants, thin, resilient coatings which protect deeply grooved teeth from the ravages of bacteria, acids and everyday wear and tear. They're a wonderful investment in your child's smile.
How cavities happen
Tooth decay happens when bacteria-filled plaque and tartar accumulate on tooth surfaces and underneath the gums. These "biofilms" proliferate with carb-laden, sugary diets and poor oral hygiene.
Your family dentist serving Honeoye Falls and Mendon agrees with the American Dental Association's guidelines for preventive care: brushing twice a day with a soft-brush and a fluoride toothpaste (ages three and up), once a day flossing and semi-annual examinations and cleanings at the dental office. These practices pay big dividends of fewer cavities, decreased incidence of gum disease and of course, fresh breath and bright enamel.
Where cavities form
There are several locations where cavities most easily form. They include:
- The chewing surfaces of back molars and premolars (because they have deep grooves or fissures which hold plaque and bacteria)
- The cheek side of teeth near the gum line
Even the most careful of oral hygiene can miss or do an inadequate job in these areas, making them more prone to decay. As such, your family dentist serving Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, advises a simple, inexpensive and long-lasting preventive treatment called dental sealants.
How plastic sealants work
Both children and adults may benefit from the application of plastic sealants, painted on coatings which penetrate fissures in tooth surfaces, protecting them from harmful bacteria. When children receive their adult teeth, the dentist inspects them for proper bite and overall condition. If he sees deep grooves, he may advise sealants.
To receive sealants, your child must sit still for about five minutes per tooth. Dr. Murano will show you which teeth need treatment, and then he'll clean, dry and etch each tooth. The etching liquid ensures a secure bond between the plastic sealant and the tooth: this is a critical part of the process.
Then, the dentist carefully will paint on the sealant and harden it with a special blue light. The tooth will look and bite normally but have an insulating barrier which should last up to a year.
Keep your child as cavity-free as possible. Sealants are a wonderful preventive measure which the friendly team at HFL Dental is happy to provide. To schedule cleaning and exam appointments, please call the office at (585) 624-1917.
This tooth-shaped restoration can restore strength back into a damaged tooth.
Did you just find out you need root canal treatment? Is one of your teeth severely malformed or discolored? Have you just cracked your tooth? If you said “yes” to any of these questions then it’s important that you get your smile the proper dental care you need to turn your smile around. For these scenarios, you may need to get a dental crown from our Mendon, NY, family dentist Dr. Carl Murano. What is a dental crown? We are here to answer that question and more.
What is a dental crown?
Most people have heard of a dental crown, a tooth-shaped cap that fits completely over the crown of your natural tooth, but they may not know why a crown is used. More often than not a crown is placed to strengthen and support a tooth that has been weakened by decay, infection or trauma. Once the integrity of a tooth’s natural structure is in jeopardy, a dental crown can be placed over it to encase it and provide protection from further damage.
Of course, a dental crown may also be used for cosmetic purposes, as well. If a damaged tooth is also misshapen or discolored then a crown can be placed over it not just to restore the tooth’s durability but also to improve its overall shape, size, and color.
Crowns are also instrumental in treating tooth loss. No matter whether you and our Mendon, NY, dentist have decided that a dental bridge or dental implant is the right approach for treating your tooth loss, crowns can be placed over a dental implant to complete the restoration and they can also be placed on natural teeth to support a dental bridge (a dental prosthetic that contains false teeth that are cemented between the two crowns).
How are dental crowns placed?
Before crowns can be placed a few things need to happen first. We will need to prepare the tooth to make room for the crown to fit over it. From there, we will need to take molds of your teeth, which will give a dental lab the exact measurements needed from which to create a custom-fitted dental crown. All crowns are customized to fit your smile.
In most cases, a temporary crown is placed over the tooth to protect it while your permanent crown is being made. Once the permanent crown has been fabricated and sent back to us we will have you come back in for a final fitting before cementing it permanently over your tooth. With the proper care, dental crowns can last for many years.
Do you have questions about getting a dental crown in Mendon, NY? Do you want to find out if dental crowns are right for your smile? If so, turn to Dr. Carl Murano at HFL Dental for the answers you need to make the right decisions about your oral health.
Minor imperfections don't have to mar your smile. Our Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, explains how veneers can correct those little issues that affect the appearance of your teeth.
Make your dental flaws disappear with veneers
Veneers address common imperfections on the fronts of your teeth by concealing them beneath a thin layer of porcelain, a translucent material that looks just like tooth enamel. The porcelain shells are created using an impression of your mouth taken in our Honeoye Falls and Mendon office. Dental technicians use the impression when creating your veneers to ensure that your restorations will fit your teeth perfectly. The veneering process also involves removing a small amount of tooth enamel to ensure a proper fit.
Veneers are an ideal solution for many cosmetic issues
Once your veneers are cemented on to your teeth, you'll no longer have to worry about:
- Oddly shaped teeth: Does one of your teeth look like it doesn't belong in your mouth? Thanks to veneers, it's simple to change the shape of teeth. Whether your tooth is crooked, twisted, pointed or just a little out of the ordinary, a veneer can make a huge difference in your smile.
- Minor damage: Small chips often develop in the bottoms of teeth due to wear and tear. Although the chips won't cause any dental issues, they can be unsightly. Veneers easily cover chips and cracks that affect your appearance.
- Gaps in your smile: If you don't think those gaps between your teeth give you character, you may want to consider adding a few veneers to your teeth. Although veneers aren't an effective solution if your gaps are large, they provide an easy way to conceal slight spaces between your teeth.
- Teeth that don't quite measure up: One or two teeth may be naturally shorter than the others or may have shortened if you regularly grind your teeth. Adding veneers will instantly add length to your short teeth.
- Discolored teeth: Whether one or all of your teeth are discolored, veneers offer an excellent long-term whitening solution. They're frequently used to hide discolorations caused by injuries, dental procedures or the use of certain antibiotics, but may also be used to whiten your entire smile.
Are you ready to find out if veneers are a good choice for you? Call our Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Murano, at (585) 624-1917 to schedule an appointment.
Need a family dentist? Your Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, is here to help.
What can your family dentist do for you?
- Crowns: A dental crown is a porcelain cap that covers a tooth. When your tooth is severely decayed and large portions of it are removed, your Honeoye Falls and Mendon family dentist uses a dental crown to help preserve what remains of your natural tooth. The crown will add support to your tooth and will conceal any cracks, dents, and chips.
- Bridges: Adults, ages 20 to 64, have around 3 decayed or missing permanent teeth, according to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. Bridges are custom-made oral appliances that can conceal dental gaps, and help restore proper bite and chewing functions.
- Fillings and Dental Bonding: In order to prepare your teeth for the composite, your family dentist will apply an etching solution to the surface of your tooth, then the composite resin that matches the color of your teeth is applied and molded to the right shape. The last step consists of the composite being hardened in place with a curing light.
- Dental Care: Visiting your dentist for a biannual dental appointment is important to maintain your oral health. If you like eating hard candies and sugary food, well then opting for fruits and vegetables is a good idea to avoid cavities. Also, your doctor will teach you how to take care of your teeth. Brush your teeth twice a day is a must. Make sure you spend 2 full minutes brushing your teeth and tilt your brush at a 45-degree angle to ensure you remove as much food debris as possible. Flossing your teeth before bed will also help preserve your crowns and natural teeth, of course! Your crowns can last up to 8 years or longer.
For more information on what your family dentist can provide you with, you should contact your Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, today!