This tooth-shaped restoration can restore strength back into a damaged tooth.
Did you just find out you need root canal treatment? Is one of your teeth severely malformed or discolored? Have you just cracked your tooth? If you said “yes” to any of these questions then it’s important that you get your smile the proper dental care you need to turn your smile around. For these scenarios, you may need to get a dental crown from our Mendon, NY, family dentist Dr. Carl Murano. What is a dental crown? We are here to answer that question and more.
What is a dental crown?
Most people have heard of a dental crown, a tooth-shaped cap that fits completely over the crown of your natural tooth, but they may not know why a crown is used. More often than not a crown is placed to strengthen and support a tooth that has been weakened by decay, infection or trauma. Once the integrity of a tooth’s natural structure is in jeopardy, a dental crown can be placed over it to encase it and provide protection from further damage.
Of course, a dental crown may also be used for cosmetic purposes, as well. If a damaged tooth is also misshapen or discolored then a crown can be placed over it not just to restore the tooth’s durability but also to improve its overall shape, size, and color.
Crowns are also instrumental in treating tooth loss. No matter whether you and our Mendon, NY, dentist have decided that a dental bridge or dental implant is the right approach for treating your tooth loss, crowns can be placed over a dental implant to complete the restoration and they can also be placed on natural teeth to support a dental bridge (a dental prosthetic that contains false teeth that are cemented between the two crowns).
How are dental crowns placed?
Before crowns can be placed a few things need to happen first. We will need to prepare the tooth to make room for the crown to fit over it. From there, we will need to take molds of your teeth, which will give a dental lab the exact measurements needed from which to create a custom-fitted dental crown. All crowns are customized to fit your smile.
In most cases, a temporary crown is placed over the tooth to protect it while your permanent crown is being made. Once the permanent crown has been fabricated and sent back to us we will have you come back in for a final fitting before cementing it permanently over your tooth. With the proper care, dental crowns can last for many years.
Do you have questions about getting a dental crown in Mendon, NY? Do you want to find out if dental crowns are right for your smile? If so, turn to Dr. Carl Murano at HFL Dental for the answers you need to make the right decisions about your oral health.
Minor imperfections don't have to mar your smile. Our Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, explains how veneers can correct those little issues that affect the appearance of your teeth.
Make your dental flaws disappear with veneers
Veneers address common imperfections on the fronts of your teeth by concealing them beneath a thin layer of porcelain, a translucent material that looks just like tooth enamel. The porcelain shells are created using an impression of your mouth taken in our Honeoye Falls and Mendon office. Dental technicians use the impression when creating your veneers to ensure that your restorations will fit your teeth perfectly. The veneering process also involves removing a small amount of tooth enamel to ensure a proper fit.
Veneers are an ideal solution for many cosmetic issues
Once your veneers are cemented on to your teeth, you'll no longer have to worry about:
- Oddly shaped teeth: Does one of your teeth look like it doesn't belong in your mouth? Thanks to veneers, it's simple to change the shape of teeth. Whether your tooth is crooked, twisted, pointed or just a little out of the ordinary, a veneer can make a huge difference in your smile.
- Minor damage: Small chips often develop in the bottoms of teeth due to wear and tear. Although the chips won't cause any dental issues, they can be unsightly. Veneers easily cover chips and cracks that affect your appearance.
- Gaps in your smile: If you don't think those gaps between your teeth give you character, you may want to consider adding a few veneers to your teeth. Although veneers aren't an effective solution if your gaps are large, they provide an easy way to conceal slight spaces between your teeth.
- Teeth that don't quite measure up: One or two teeth may be naturally shorter than the others or may have shortened if you regularly grind your teeth. Adding veneers will instantly add length to your short teeth.
- Discolored teeth: Whether one or all of your teeth are discolored, veneers offer an excellent long-term whitening solution. They're frequently used to hide discolorations caused by injuries, dental procedures or the use of certain antibiotics, but may also be used to whiten your entire smile.
Are you ready to find out if veneers are a good choice for you? Call our Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Murano, at (585) 624-1917 to schedule an appointment.
Need a family dentist? Your Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, is here to help.
What can your family dentist do for you?
- Crowns: A dental crown is a porcelain cap that covers a tooth. When your tooth is severely decayed and large portions of it are removed, your Honeoye Falls and Mendon family dentist uses a dental crown to help preserve what remains of your natural tooth. The crown will add support to your tooth and will conceal any cracks, dents, and chips.
- Bridges: Adults, ages 20 to 64, have around 3 decayed or missing permanent teeth, according to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. Bridges are custom-made oral appliances that can conceal dental gaps, and help restore proper bite and chewing functions.
- Fillings and Dental Bonding: In order to prepare your teeth for the composite, your family dentist will apply an etching solution to the surface of your tooth, then the composite resin that matches the color of your teeth is applied and molded to the right shape. The last step consists of the composite being hardened in place with a curing light.
- Dental Care: Visiting your dentist for a biannual dental appointment is important to maintain your oral health. If you like eating hard candies and sugary food, well then opting for fruits and vegetables is a good idea to avoid cavities. Also, your doctor will teach you how to take care of your teeth. Brush your teeth twice a day is a must. Make sure you spend 2 full minutes brushing your teeth and tilt your brush at a 45-degree angle to ensure you remove as much food debris as possible. Flossing your teeth before bed will also help preserve your crowns and natural teeth, of course! Your crowns can last up to 8 years or longer.
For more information on what your family dentist can provide you with, you should contact your Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, family dentist, Dr. Carl Murano, today!
Do you want sparkling white teeth? Do you want to be able to smile without having to photoshop your teeth? Well, that's understandable. Your Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, dentist Dr. Carl Murano has just the answer: Teeth whitening!
What can teeth whitening do?
Teeth whitening rejuvenates your smile. It removes:
- Stains and yellowing
How is your smile tainted?
There are many contributing factors when it comes to your teeth yellowing and becoming discolored. Here are a few reasons:
- Chewing tobacco and smoking can cause the accumulation of stains on teeth.
- Drinking too much tea and coffee, and eating too many berries can also stain your teeth.
- Not maintaining a healthy oral and dental regiment may contribute to plaque and tartar buildup.
- Aging does play a factor because the dentin under the tooth enamel is yellow and is exposed over time.
- Not eating healthy foods like apples scrapes away plaque and drinking enough water can help remove food debris from teeth.
- Medications like certain antibiotics can stain teeth.
What types of teeth whitening are there?
- You can buy teeth-whitening toothpaste but that may not be the best for your teeth. Sometimes they consist of harsh substances that can cause damage to your teeth.
- At-home kit: Your Honeoye Falls and Mendon doctor will give you a kit that can be used at home. It's convenient so that you can brighten your teeth when it's convenient for you. Make sure you listen to your doctor's instructions though!
- In-office teeth whitening: The doctor will use retractors to prevent your cheeks and lips from touching the bleach put on your teeth. The dentist will leave the bleach on your teeth for about an hour then remove it.
If you're interested in improving the brightness of your teeth and believe you Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY, dentist Dr. Carl Murano can help you, then call today!
How periodontal care from your Honeoye Falls and Mendon dentist can help you
Everyone knows teeth are important, but your gums are important too! Your gums and supporting bone are what hold your teeth in place. Without adequate support, your teeth can become loose, and even fall out. Your gums, the ligaments around your teeth, and the supporting bone are known as the periodontium. Periodontal care refers to what you need to do to take care of the support for your teeth.
Dr. Carl Murano at HFL Dental in Honeoye Falls, NY wants to share the facts about periodontal care. He proudly serves the residents of Honeoye Falls and Mendon and he can help you too.
Periodontal disease typically starts out as gum disease. There are a few important differences between gum disease and periodontal disease. Gum disease only affects your gums, and it is reversible by regular brushing, flossing and visiting your dentist and dental hygienist for an exam, x-rays and professional cleaning once or twice each year.
Periodontal disease affects your gums, but it also affects your supporting bone and ligaments that hold your teeth in place. Unlike gum disease, periodontal disease cannot be reversed; it can only be managed.
Both gum and periodontal disease are caused by harmful bacteria in the plaque attached to your teeth. These bacteria produce toxins that inflame and infect the hard and soft tissues in your mouth. That’s why thorough plaque removal with regular brushing and flossing are so important in preventing gum and periodontal disease.
When you visit Dr. Murano, he will perform a thorough periodontal examination as part of your dental exam. Using x-rays, he will be able to assess if you have lost any bone due to periodontal disease. He will also measure the level of soft tissue attachment to your teeth. Both of these diagnostic tools will help determine what level of periodontal care you need.
Typically, patients with periodontal disease will need more extensive dental cleanings, due to the presence of deep pocket areas of soft tissue surrounding your teeth. These deep pockets are full of harmful bacteria and toxins. You may also have hard deposits, called calculus or tartar, attached to your teeth.
You may begin periodontal treatment with root planing, a process to remove hard and soft deposits and smooth the roots of your teeth. After root planing is complete, Dr. Murano may suggest more frequent cleaning intervals of every three months to every four months, depending on the level of disease.
To find out if you need periodontal care, call Dr. Murano, at HFL Dental, serving residents of Honeoye Falls and Mendon, NY. Don’t wait, call today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.